Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Swell Recipe: Chocolate Buttaahcream


I am sharing my chocolate buttercream recipe with you. Honestly, I think I got it from Martha, but it has been so long that I cannot be sure. This buttercream is the perfect blend of sweet, chocolatey and salty all at once. You can use unsalted butter, but I (and the family) really love the salty side of this icing when I use the salted butter. Sounds funny, doesn't it? Well, it really works and you will know what I mean when you try this. I am sure Martha would have you use an unsalted butter and then add in the salt later. It is up to you, but if you try it my way, I don't think you will be disappointed. For some reason I wrote on the recipe that you can halve the recipe for a regular cake. Better not do that, as you may have too thin of a layer of icing. I made a half recipe for these cupcakes and it was not enough when I did the big swirls on top.
My husband wrote his love note on the recipe one night when I was up late baking. He enjoys that I love baking-and the end results! I really need to go through all of my abused recipes and get organized. This one is starting to worry me. At least I have it here if I lose my post-it. As far as mixing up the icing, just beat the butter for a minute then add in the vanilla. I also tend to add extra vanilla. Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa slowly. Sooo delish!

No comments: